Prize and Odds
|5 + Lucky Ball||$1,000 a day, for life*||1 in 30,821,472|
|5||$25,000 a year, for life*||1 in 1,813,028|
|4 + Lucky Ball||$5,000*||1 in 143,356|
|4||$200||1 in 8,433|
|3 + Lucky Ball||$150||1 in 3,413|
|3||$20||1 in 201|
|2 + Lucky Ball||$25||1 in 250|
|2||$3||1 in 15|
|1 + Lucky Ball||$6||1 in 50|
|Lucky Ball only||$4||1 in 32|
Overall odds of winning a prize in Lucky for Life are 1 in 7.8.
* If there are multiple winners, prize amounts may be split.
|Winners||Annuitized Payment Option||Cash Option|
|1||$1,000 a day, for life||$5,750,000*|
|2-14||$1,000 a day, for life*||$5,750,000*|
|15 or more||(No annuitized payment option)||$7,125,000|
|Winners||Annuitized Payment Option||Cash Option|
|1-20||$25,000 a year, for life||$390,000|
|21 or more||(No annuitized payment option)||$9,400,000*|
*Divided by the number of winners.
|Draw Time||10:38 p.m. ET||10:38 p.m. ET|
|Sales Stop||Varies by jurisdiction||Varies by jurisdiction|
Things to Know
- The original game was launched in 2009 as Lucky-4-Life in Connecticut.
- The 4 in the name was a reference to the original number matrix of 4/39 + 1/19.
- When the 5/43 + 1/43 matrix was in use, no one won the Lucky for Life top prize.
- There are 10 ways to win with Lucky for Life, and it’s one of the few game in the U.S. to have two lifetime prizes.
- The top prize for Lucky for Life is $1,000 a day for life.
- 26 jurisdictions participate in the Lucky for Life game.
- The top two prize categories may be shared in cases where there are multiple winners in those categories.
- You must be 18 or older to play except in Nebraska (19 or older) and Iowa (21 or older).
- You can claim your Lucky for Life main prize as a lump sum or as an annuity payment for life or for 20 years—whichever is longer.
How to Play
- Pick five numbers from 1 to 48.
- Pick a Lucky Ball number from 1 to 18.
- Check if you’ve won.
- $2 per play.
This table shows the maximum number of advanced draw purchases permitted in each participating state for Lucky for Life.
|Arkansas||up to 20|
|Colorado||up to 26|
|Connecticut||up to 26|
|Delaware||up to 10|
|District of Columbia||up to 20|
|Idaho||up to 10|
|Iowa||up to 10|
|Kansas||up to 15|
|Kentucky||up to 16|
|Maine||up to 20|
|Massachusetts||up to 15|
|Michigan||up to 30|
|Minnesota||up to 14|
|Missouri||up to 15|
|Montana||up to 24|
|Nebraska||up to 24|
|New Hampshire||up to 20|
|North Carolina||up to 26|
|North Dakota||up to 9|
|Ohio||up to 10|
|Oklahoma||up to 10|
|Rhode Island||up to 26|
|South Carolina||up to 20|
|South Dakota||up to 9|
|Vermont||up to 20|
|Wyoming||up to 20|
Lucky for Life began in Connecticut, and it has spread to a total of 26 jurisdictions over the years, making it one of the most popular games in the U.S., while also being one of the few games that have annuitized prizes for life!
- The original Lucky-4-life game was launched in Connecticut.
- The number matrix used was 4/39 + 1/19.
- March 2012
- The game’s name was changed to Lucky for Life.
- Lucky for Life tickets started being sold throughout New England.
- The number matrix was modified to 5/40 + 1/21.
- September 2013
- A second lifetime prize as well as cash options for the top and second prizes were added.
- The number matrix was changed to 5/43 + 1/43 to make it harder to win.
- January 2015
- The number matrix was changed, yet again, to 5/48 + 1/18.
- February 2015 - February 2018
- Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, South Carolina, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Ohio, Iowa, North Carolina, North Dakota, Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Oklahoma also joined the game, reaching a total of 26 participating jurisdictions.
When are Lucky for Life draws held?
Draws are held every Monday and Thursday at 10:38 p.m. ET.
Where do the Lucky for Life draws take place?
Lucky for Life draws are held in Hartford, Connecticut.
Where can I play this game?
You can play Lucky for Life in Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming.
What is the Lucky Ball?
The Lucky Ball is a sixth ball between 1 and 18. Matching it earns a prize of at least $4, depending on if you matched other numbers, too.
What’s the top prize in the game?
The top prize is $1,000 a day for life, or $5,750,000 as a one-time payment.
How are Lucky for Life winnings paid out?
If you win the first or second prize, you can claim them as a one-off cash lump sum or as a regular annuity payment. You will receive regular payments for life or for a minimum of 20 years, whichever is longer. The top prize is paid weekly and the second prize is paid annually.
What are the odds of winning the Lucky for Life top prize?
You have a 1 in 30,821,472 chance of matching all five numbers and the Lucky Ball to win the top prize.
How many Lucky for Life prize categories are there?
There are 10 prize categories.
What are the overall chances of winning a prize?
You have a 1 in 7.8 chance of winning any prize.
Got any more Lucky for Life questions? Contact us, we’d love to help answer them.