Prize and Odds
|5 + Star Ball||Jackpot||1 in 25,989,600|
|5||$20,000||1 in 2,887,733.33|
|4 + Star Ball||$1,000||1 in 110,594.04|
|4||$100||1 in 12,288.23|
|3 + Star Ball||$20||1 in 2,404.22|
|3||$5||1 in 267.14|
|2 + Star Ball||$5||1 in 160.28|
|1 + Star Ball||$2||1 in 29.14|
|Star Ball only||$2||1 in 16.94|
|Overall odds of winning a prize in Lotto America are 1 in 9.63.|
All Star Bonus Prizes
|5 + Star Ball||Jackpot|
|4 + Star Ball||$1,000||$2,000||$3,000||$4,000||$5,000|
|3 + Star Ball||$20||$40||$60||$80||$100|
|2 + Star Ball||$5||$10||$15||$20||$25|
|1 + Star Ball||$2||$4||$6||$8||$10|
|Star Ball only||$2||$4||$6||$8||$10|
All Star Bonus Odds
|Odds||15 in 32||10 in 32||4 in 32||3 in 32|
|Draw Time||11:00 p.m. ET||11:00 p.m. ET|
|Sales Stop||Varies by jurisdiction||Varies by jurisdiction|
Things to Know
- The original Lotto*America game was launched in February of 1988 and was replaced by Powerball in April 1992.
- The new Lotto America was launched in November 2017 and replaced Hot Lotto.
- There are nine different ways to win with Lotto America.
- Eight of the Lotto America prize categories are of a fixed value.
- 13 jurisdictions participate in Lotto America.
- You must be 18 or older to play, except in Iowa where you must be 21 or older.
- You can claim a Lotto America jackpot prize as a lump sum or as an annuity payment over a certain number of years.
- The advertised jackpot amount is always the annuity sum before tax.
How to Play
- Pick five numbers from 1 to 52.
- Pick a Star Ball number from 1 to 10.
- You have the option to add the All Star Bonus for an extra $1.
- Check if you’ve won.
- $1 per play
- $1 to add the All Star Bonus
This table shows the maximum number of advanced draw purchases permitted in each participating state for Lotto America.
|Delaware||up to 10|
|Idaho||up to 10|
|Iowa||up to 10|
|Kansas||up to 15|
|Maine||up to 20|
|Minnesota||up to 14|
|Montana||up to 24|
|New Mexico||up to 20|
|North Dakota||up to 9|
|Oklahoma||up to 10|
|South Dakota||up to 9|
|Tennessee||up to 10|
|West Virginia||up to 24|
The current version of Lotto America was launched in November 2017 by the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) as a replacement for Hot Lotto. Since then, it has grown to become one of the most played multi-state games in the U.S.
- End of 1987
- West Virginia, Iowa, Rhode Island, Washington, D.C., Oregon, Kansas, and Missouri formed the MUSL.
- February 1988
- Launched in 1988 under the name Lotto*America.
- August 1989 – January 1991
- Nine more states joined the game: Wisconsin, Montana, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Indiana, South Dakota, Kentucky, and Delaware.
- April 1992
- The last Lotto*America draw was held in April 1992, and Powerball was launched the following day as its replacement.
- November 2017
- The MUSL launched a new version of Lotto*America called Lotto America, which replaced Hot Lotto.
- The states that participated in the launch of this new game were Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
- The first draw’s jackpot was augmented with funds from the final Hot Lotto jackpot, which had not been won, for a special Grand Prize of $15 million.
- June 2020
- After the June 13 draw, the starting jackpot and jackpot increases between draws are to be determined according to sales and interest rates.
When are Lotto America draws held?
Draws are held every Wednesday and Saturday after 11:00 p.m. ET at the Florida Lottery studios in Tallahassee, Florida.
In which states can I play Lotto America?
You can play Lotto America in Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
What is the All Star Bonus?
The All Star Bonus is a randomly drawn value that multiplies all the winnings (with the exception of the jackpot) by 2, 3, 4, or 5 times, depending on the number drawn.
How do I play Lotto America?
Pick five numbers from 1 to 52, and then pick a Star Ball number from 1 to 10. Decide if you want to pay $1 more for the All Star Bonus option.
What are the payout options on winning the Lotto America jackpot?
Jackpot winners can choose to claim their prize as one lump sum cash payment or as an annuity of 30 payments made over a 29-year period.
What are the odds of winning the jackpot?
You have a 1 in 25,989,600 chance of winning the Lotto America jackpot.
What’s the easiest Lotto America prize to win?
Match just the Star Ball to win $2. If you take the All Star Bonus option, this prize can increase to a maximum of $10.
How many prize categories does the game have?
There are nine prize categories in the Lotto America game.
Do you have more Lotto America questions? Contact us; we’d love to help you out.